Friday, February 5, 2010

Fed Cup news

There is a lot of Fed Cup news, but here are some of the more interesting scores in the Europe/Africa Zone, Group I:

In Sweden's 2-1 defeat of Denmark, Arvidsson and Larsson defeated Jacobsgaard and Wozniacki, 6-0, 6-0.

Austria defeated Great Britain 3-0; Great Britain defeated Belarus 2-1.

In the contest between The Netherlands and Israel, Arantxa Rus defeated Shahar Peer 6-2, 6-1.

And in the competition between Romania and Portugal, Alexandra Dulgheru defeated Michelle Larcher De Brito 6-0, 5-7, 6-2. (One more bagel, and Dulgheru will be operating a Fed Cup deli.)

In other Fed Cup news, Christina McHale will replace Shenay Perry on the USA Fed Cup team this weekend, and Jelena Jankovic says she is healthy enough to play for Serbia.

7 comments:

BS said...

The most interesting result to me in all of this is that Arantxa Rus beat Shahar Peer so easily. That said, I have been following the progress of Arantxa Rus for the past year. I think she is one to look out for in the coming years. She looks very promising.

Diane said...

I was surprised, too BS, but perhaps Arantxa's transition from from star junior player to the tour is starting to work for her.

Sunny said...

I like Fed Cup because it gives me a chance to get to know players and names that I would not normally become acquainted with. I just feel that the Fed Cup Web page doesn't make it easy to follow the zonal play. Or maybe it is just the nature of zonal play. What is the best way to follow it? Where do you get the info from besides the Fed Cup website?

Diane said...

I use the Fed Cup site, Sunny. Once you get used to it, the navigation is okay, and the pop-up scoreboards are way better than the ones we usually get. They even tell you what kind of shot was just hit.

Sunny said...

Sorry to belabor the question but I am familiar with the live scores but is there such a thing for the Zonal ties? I have figured out how to navigate to the ties of the Zonal play but wish it wasn't a process of steps. I can get the people and the score. I guess the site maily focuses on the World Groups.

Diane said...

No, there are no live scores for anything but the two world groups.

wouldbeking said...

I have sent messages to the official Fed Cup site reminding them that we enthusiasts are interested in the tournament as a whole...not just world group...after that the Europe/Africa group II was updated for the first matches but not again..where else can we find the scores?...I am very interested in zonal play..too bad the fans get left behind from the official site