Tuesday, August 31, 2010

U.S. Open miscellany

Today, I heard a commentator call for on-court coaching all the time. He said that if a player didn't have a coach, the USTA could appoint one (I know---it sounds like a Miranda warning). I'm not sure how that would work for the hundreds of players who do not play for the United States. In more ways than one, the commentator needed to think this dreadful idea through a bit more.

Sania Mirza says that she is managing her wrist pain, and is glad to be resuming her career. Mirza, who was out for several months, has an impressive forehand.

When I saw a photo of Maria Sharapova's daytime dress, I wasn't sure if I liked it. Now that I've seen it on her, I like it very much. The night dress is beautiful, even by itself, in a photo.

I can't bring myself to dislike Nadia Petrova's unusual outfit as much as I think I'm supposed to. (Speaking of Petrova, what was that with Petkovic's dance, after a first-round win?) Aravane Rezai's outfit is another matter.

In the U.S. Open preview issue of Tennis magazine, Steve Tignor writes yet another tribute to Flavia Pennetta--and it's another good read.

Beatrice Capra is the U.S. Open's Player of the Day.

No comments: