Thursday, September 23, 2010

Miscellany

Sabine Lisicki, the number 2 seed in this week's 75k Shrewsbury ITF tournament, was upset in the second round by Heather Watson. Watson lost to 8th seed Eva Birnerova in the quarterfinals.

Rosie Casals talks with Adam Lincoln.

And here is David Rosenberg's interview with Lisa Raymond and Rennae Stubbs.

Dinara Safina recently had a coaching session with her brother, Marat.

The city of Opitter, Belgium, where Kim Clijsters grew up, has honored her with a fountain and sculpture.

Chanda Rubin and Katrina Adams have been nominated to serve on the USTA board of directors. Adams is already a director at large.

3 comments:

Sunny nine said...

I never hear much about Chanda Rubin or Zina Garrison and the challenges they faced as persons of color. I always liked Rubin and also appreciated the fact that she helped out the kids in her home region, which I believe was south. We hear about the Williams sisters and Althea Gibson because of their careers, but Rubin and Garrison had decent careers. We hear about hardship and racial problems from other players but we haven't heard the stories of these two people. Well, at least I haven't.

I was hoping Safina could put three matches together this time. She needs to get over that hump confidence-wise.

Will Sabine ever be with us again?

Diane said...

Chanda Rubin is from Lafayette, Louisiana, a couple of hours from where I live. I really liked watching her play--she was very talented--but her career was just one injury after another. She couldn't stay healthy for very long.

Zina Garrison did have a good career, and was, of course, the Fed Cup captain for the USA team.

I haven't given up on Lisicki; she's had a really tough time of it.

Anonymous said...

Ηello! I simply wish to οffeг you a bіg
thumbs uρ for your great іnfο you have heгe оn this
post. I'll be coming back to your web site for more soon.

Here is my webpage quick loans