Thursday, January 27, 2011

Observations about the Australian Open

Martina Navratilova is a great commentator. Her ability to see detail and the big picture at the same time is  impressive.

Note to Chris McKendry: There were lots of countrywomen in the stands, too. What century are you living in? (Also, as much as I like him as a commentator, why is it so hard for Darren Cahill to say the "w" word?)

Francesca Schiavone is a tennis god.

Fireworks, cannons and buzzing planes are distractions, not entertainment.

The chair umpires appear to be taking a closer look at coaching from the stands.

Australian fans really know how to do it with the costumes, makeup and body painting!

Can we please keep the "all Chinese men are short and all Chinese people are quiet" interviewer out of press conferences?

The performances of both Maria Sharapova and Caroline Wozniacki do not bode well. Time will tell.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What worries me about Maria is that she seems sooo philosophical about everything during her pressers. She is right: it is just tennis... but on the other hand.

Ha. I remember your post from a short while back, I think you referred to her as a Hitchcock blonde --- except now she seems less icy and more okay with not winning. I miss her fire, but if I had 3 slams and that much loot, who knows?

(There is also a nice piece on Judy Murray at nytimes.com. )

Diane said...

I looked that up. It was a year ago, at the Australian Open, after Kirilenko took her out. She was unusually rigid and icy, which brought up the Hitchcock image (I tend to think in terms of films).

I agree with you. All the philosophical rhetoric seems to be a cover for something.

That is a nice piece on Judy Murray. I had seen the headline, but hadn't read the article until you pointed me toward it--thanks.

Daniel said...

I miss Mary Carillo. A lot.

The costumes are the best down there....there needs to be a 30 minute show on the Tennis Channel on JUST the costumes. Kia had a promotion every session about the 'fan of the day'....you could tell they spent hours and hours working on them...did you see the girl with the tennis ball dress? I only spotted her once but didn't have my camera on me at the time. She opened up hundreds of tennis balls, ironed them flat, and put them on some sort of black material. She said it wasn't heavy but it sure looked like it was!

svente said...

Yeah, the racism is delightful. And by delightful I mean frustrating. Li handles it well, but she shouldn't have to handle it at all. Apparently the press and Chris are living in the same century!

Diane said...

I missed the tennis ball dress, but I really wish I hadn't!

Overhead Spin said...

Even Sharapova's publicist has become a bit concerned about her responses in press conferences. I have been saying it for over a year now, Sharapova is not as invested in tennis as she used to be.

Her publicist is of the view that her father is taking a more hands on approach in relation to her career, so perhaps we will soon see Yuri on the court doing his thing once again.