Tuesday, May 28, 2013

French Open--what they said

She just runs the balls down and almost baits you into going for too much.
Martina Navratilova, commenting on JJ

With rain breaks included, the tie stretched over an entire afternoon and was a heady cocktail of nervous energy, glares, glaring errors, fist-pumps, double-fisted winners and double-faulted disasters. And that was just Marion, though her opponent was no less guilty at times.
Andrew Lilley

There's a lot of bad hair I regret tremendously. But I don't really have regrets.
Venus Williams (from her Yes Network CenterStage interview)

On the court, nobody can do it in my stead, can they? I'm alone. I have to shoulder the responsibility and produce the goods like I did in this match.
Marion Bartoli

I thought my slice was good and I served well. Yeah, overall very happy.
Sam Stosur

Reuters says Bartoli “hogged the stage” in her three-hour, opening-round victory Tuesday, keeping Novak Djokovic from making his center-court debut until 6:30 p.m. Funny, I don’t remember seeing the articles accusing Monfils of the same thing Monday when his four-plus-hour match pushed defending champion Maria Sharapova off Chatrier and onto Court Suzanne Lenglen for her tournament debut. Also, one might argue that it was the multiple rain delays that actually prevented Djokovic from getting on court before 6:30 p.m., not the WTA French No. 1, who was, you know, just trying to win a match.
Courtney Nguyen

2 comments:

sabey said...

Diane, thanks for bringing attention to the absurd level of sexism in tennis coverage!

Diane said...

You're welcome, sabey--and thanks to Courtney :)