Sunday, April 9, 2017

The best of Kasatkina--speaking as a champion

photo by Daniel Ward
Daria Kasatkina's post-championship match press conference fulfilled all of the expectations that her championship performance filled. Here are some highlights:

...it was your first final. You said yesterday you had no idea what it was going to be like, what it was going to feel like. So what did it feel like?
It was terrible....

Two wins over Kerber, now this. Do you feel like you're getting into a groove right now?
I know. Yeah, I beat Kerber twice, but it doesn't give me nothing, actually. 

It was quite comfortable for me today. I was playing just with my feelings. I go back, spin the ball, running, everything, and thank God she was missing.




What will you do tonight to celebrate?
I don't know. I need to pick up my bags. I'm leaving tomorrow, early morning. So yeah, I am coming home tomorrow, so I need to pick up my bags, pack my bags. And not so much celebration. But no, no, I will celebrate, for sure. What are you talking about?! Pack the bags. Come on, Daria. 

Were you like that when you were younger?
Because I didn't have so much power, I was running, trying to spin the ball, move the opponent, and that's it.  I didn't have so good fitness. So yeah, I was trying to beat the opponents only with the brain work.

The absolute highlight of the press conference occurred when Kasatkina was asked whether she realized that, next year, her face will be on a banner outside the stadium. It was quite obvious that she didn't realize it, and the look on her face was priceless.We should enjoy this press conference because there are going to be many others, and Kasatkina will quickly learn to manage them like a champion. There's nothing wrong with that, but--for now--I like seeing and hearing her manage them like a dazed teenager.

No comments: